Monday, December 5, 2011

Where is your big brother?


So I am just now getting around to reporting on this weekend’s outing due to our busy schedule. Friday we had a Christmas get together with our Sunday School group which was a blast, we ended the night of with a game of hide and seek throughout our whole church. Saturday was spent on the water and Sunday, I don’t know which was more exciting getting our cable hooked up Sunday or fishing on Saturday. All I know is that we spent our Sunday afternoon watching everything that the fabulous direct tv had to offer.

Back to the important stuff, fishing. My good buddy Jesse came out with me, he has been Stillwater fly fishing for years, but just getting into the world of river fishing. It was a blast seeing him and the excitement that he had to try and get his hands on one of those magnificent chrome fish. Throughout the day we ended up landing 3 rainbows which averaged at about 13 inches, all Jesse could say is “where is your big brother?” He had 2 good bites at a steelhead, but they never developed into a fish. Once again all of those fish took the egg pattern, this is a must have fly for this season. I got little time to wet my line, as I wanted to see if I could get Jesse hooked into his first steelhead on a fly rod. I love being on the sticks, I am learning how to move the boat with little effort and I feel like I am seeing the water differently than if I was up front fishing. I am starting to spot the seams and slots better than ever, and I am starting to recognize possible holding spots for fish, I can’t wait for the big winter run of steelhead.


Even though we didn’t get into any steelhead it was a great day on the water. The high for the day was around 50 degrees with no rain or wind just a lot of sunshine. Since being on the water, when I am off I am constantly thinking about fly variations or different areas the fish might be holding in, I guess this is my realization that I am fully addicted to this sport, what do you do but “LTD”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment