Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Bring on the Rain

So all last week I was itching to get back out on the water and fish. My work schedule does not allow me to fish during the week so those 5 days of work just kill. My dilemma the whole week was do I fish where I know there are fish or do I try some place new and hope?

I went against my better judgment and fished someplace new. It was the first time I had fished the Nestucca so I figured I would try a pretty tame float between 1st bridge and Three Rivers. Like all of the reports it was pretty straight forward, and thanks to the sporting goods shop in Hebo for the shuttle service, the car was taken care of.

The morning started out with overcast skies but no wind or rain, Yet! The water level was down a bit but I figured I came all this way, might as well go for it. Right as I was putting in I saw 3 salmon spawning right by the boat launch so I knew it was going to be a day of seeing a lot of dark beat up fish.  About an hour of no bites or tugs I hooked into about a 15 inch cutthroat. It fought pretty good for using a 7wt rod. After that little guy I am pretty sure I was living thing on the water and in the water for about 2 hours. As the rain and wind started to pick up in those two hours I kept thinking to myself “I bet the McKenzie is doing pretty good right about now”. A spawning salmon did take to a Stone nymph which ended up staying with the fish and not returning to the rightful owner, myself. Once that fish took my fly everything about the day changed, for the worse. The sky became dark grey and the showers became full on tropical rainstorm, basically the size of gumdrops. As I was making the final stretch to the Three Rivers boat launch, the heavens had broke open and this was it. The rain, the gale force winds, the ominous clouds overhead. The winds were so strong up stream it was creating a current that was flowing upstream, I felt like I was in the perfect storm just trying to row to get home.

As I pulled into the launch after my 30 minute battle against the wind and waves I saw a man get out of his truck and grab his pole and head to the water. Right as I was thinking to myself this guy is completely nuts, did he not see the signs that a hurricane was likely to take place anytime soon, he asked how I was doing? I replied, “Good except for the rain, and yourself?” His response, which took me off guard for the situation, “Good, just thought it was a good time to go fishing”. That was it, in passing these few words were said.

Looking back on it, I didn’t know what he was talking about. “Thought it was a good time to fish”, come on these where hurricane conditions. But the more I think about it this is the guy that I have always wanted be, the I don’t care about a little rain or wind I am going to do what I love to do kind of people. So my day of floating on a river trying to hook into a steelhead turned into a thought provoking afternoon that I will not forget anytime soon.

The Clackacraft that I have recently aquired worked great. I can't be more happy with the decision, and the slogan of "Fear No Rock" holds true. I am ready for the Winter Steelhead season to get underway, this year is going to be a good year!

No comments:

Post a Comment