Monday, November 28, 2011

A couple of days off


This past week I had two days off because of Thanksgiving, which made for a 4 day weekend. This year I would be going to the in-laws for Thanksgiving, which meant short drive on turkey day thanks to living in the same town and I got to catch up with my wife’s cousin who has some fun adventures. The conversation that I won’t forget was the one that involved his new found passion for bow fishing. To sum up his story he and another “redneck” buddy of his went fishing at night for catfish and he said when they could see the fish in the water and not taking the bait they decided to pull out there bows and try it that way, and what do you know they got fish. That’s how the love of bow fishing became the best topic at our Thanksgiving meal.


Since we met our obligation of Thanksgiving with the in-laws on Thursday we decided to head out of town and meet my parents at the cabin up on Willamette Pass. We have always loved going there, it is such a nice place to go and relax and let our dog, Charlie, run around in the woods. It did not let us down again, we had a great time up there. I always love fishing with my dad, he is one of those guys that just loves to fly fish, he loves that chess like game with fish and their holding spots or how they run up river in certain conditions. Every time we fish together I always gain another piece of knowledge that would have taken years to figure out on my own. Now after saying this there is one piece I will leave for him, that is his strange obsession with catching a Brown trout from Crescent Lake. I am pretty sure it his white whale in life, this elusive creature that he has never seen but just knows it is lurking about in the lake. This weekend we tried the tactic of fishing at dusk and targeting right behind the spawning kokonee, somehow he knows the Browns just hang out behind feeding off the eggs. Well,  it was a couple pleasant hours each night hanging out and fishing with my father but now Browns just a couple of those kokonee fish. The legend of the Brown lives on.

We also picked up our Christmas tree. Since my wife and I have been married we go out into the woods and cut down our tree. This year we are especially pleased with our choice of tree, it is a great corner tree. This means about 3/4 of the tree is really good and the last 1/4 is best for the corner. All in all the days off work, dinner at the in-laws, and the weekend at the cabin it was a good couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment