Saturday, February 11, 2012

Whammy!

Water level, 5.3ft.
Weather Forecast, Rain.
Overall Steelhead conditions, Perfect.

6:30am, truck is gassed up, loaded and I am off. After dropping the key off at the shuttle place I am on the water and fishing. Well trying to fish, in the first 30 minutes of being on the water I lost 6 flies. Yea 6, that is a lot of time out of the water and missing some good fish. Once I finally got some rhythm it was game time. The water was great, the color and clarity were right on the mark. I made my was down to the boulder garden and went to work. Started dead drifting my slots with the 2 fly setup. Whammy! 4 or 5 casts in it happened, a big take on the trailing fly and then the fight began. A big run back towards the boat then a jump and turn down river. After a few more small runs this nice 25 incher came in.


After the excitement of my first winter steelhead of the season the rest of the day was a victory lap it seemed like. Making my way down river I got one more tug on the line but no other fish to hand. The weather held up fairly decent, with only a few sprinkles here and there the majority of the day was just overcast skies.

With a great day on the water complete I found yet another reason why I love my Tundra. While another boater was taking out of the water I was cleaning up my boat. After 3 or 4 attempts from the fellow fisherman at making it back up the slippery boat ramp I offered to pull him out. So with the cable connected to the front of the guys truck and front of mine, I put the Tundra into reverse and with no hesitation on the truck's part it just pulls the other right up the ramp as if it was nothing. So with everything that went on it was a day that will not be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment